This basic course is composed by 30 video lectures, divided into 6 macro-sessions. Students are also required to study on a recommended textbook.
The medieval history course offers students a general overview on Medieval European History, from the collapse of the Western Roman Empire to the beginning of the Renaissance (end of the 15th century), period during which an original civilization an a fondamental experience for european society took place
Middle Ages: development of the concept and charachteristics.
Late Roman Empire’s society (4th cent. A. D.).
Romans and Barbarians.
The new ‘Latin-German’ kingdoms
The age of Giustiniano
Muhammad and the rise of Islam
The Lombard kingdom in Italy
Charles the Great
The Carolingian empire
Early Middle Ages’ economy
The second age of invasions and the break up of the Carolingian Empire
The age of local powers: castles and landlords
The new rise of the Western Empire in Germany (Saxon dinasty)
The age of population growth and economic expansion from the year 1000
Church in the 11th century: the Investiture Controversy and the Crusades
Feudalism and Knighthood
Beginning of new ‘national’ kingdoms
Cities and Communes
12th century cultural renaissance
Economy and society in 13th century’s Europe
The rise of strong nation-states
Church in 13th century
Crisis of the Late Middle Ages: war, famine and plague
Crisis of the Late Middle Ages: society, economy, religion
The inheritance of the Middle Ages
students can choose one among the following books:
- M. Montanari, Storia medievale, ed. Laterza
- G. Piccinni, I mille anni del Medioevo, ed. Bruno Mondadori
- G. Vitolo, Medioevo. I caratteri originali di un’età di transizione, ed. Sansoni.
- Storia Medievale, Manuali Donzelli, Roma 1998 (in particular chapters I, III, IV, V, VII, VIII, X, XI, XII, XIV, XX)
- P. Delogu, Introduzione allo studio della Storia Medioevale, Bologna 2002 (only the following chapters: Il problema della periodizzazione; Qualche tema generale; Le fonti della conoscenza storica; La documentazione giuridica; Le monete; La documentazione materiale)
- An historic atlas (for ex. P. Cammarosano-F. Mezzone, Piccolo atlante di storia medievale (249-1492), Ed. CERM, Trieste)