The course aims to provide a first picture of the legal aspects related to the performance of business: contract law, aspects of comparative private law, financial instruments linked to the performance of the business, bank contracts, International bank guarantees and consumer law , antitrust , ICC's models.
By the end of this module, the student will have:
1. Closely examined the legal aspects of the three basic forms of international business: trade; licensing of intellectual property; and foreign direct investment - within the context of managerial decision-making.
2. Examined the fundamental principles of public and private international law, as well as of the law of the European Union, as they relate to the regulation of trade, licensing of intellectual property rights and direct investment.
3. Had conveyed a basic knowledge of the law of contracts for the sale of goods as embodied in the Convention for International Sale of Goods in a comparative perspective with other legal systems and principles concerning the subject-matter.
4. Have been offered a comparative approach to the study of business law and of legal systems so as to understand how legal problems are treated in different societal and cultural environments.
5. Developed an awareness of the special legal problems facing Multinational corporations that are trading, licensing and investing in foreign countries.
Contents of the course:
1. Introduction to Business Law
2. The Law of Contract
3. Sale of Goods
5. International Trade part I
6. International Trade part II
7. Documentary Credits
8. Foreign Direct Investment
9. FDI Risks and Risk Management
10. Employment Issues
11. EU Single Market
12. NAFTA plus other Free Trade Areas
13. Tax Issues
14. Intellectual Property - Patents
15. intellectual Property - Trade Marks
16. intellectual Property - Copyright
17. intellectual Property - Design Rights and Patents
18. Intellectual Property - Enforcement
19. EU Competition Law article 101
20. EU Competition Law article 102
21. EU Competition Law Merger Control
22. U.S. Anti Trust law Exclusionary Conduct
23. U.S. Anti Trust law Merger Control
24. Competition law Enforcement
25. Competition law Leniency programs
The recommended course book for this subject matter is Schaffer, Agusti, & Earle, International Business Law and Its Environment, Cencage - Western Legal Studies in Business 8th Edition 2012 (international edition) , ISBN-13 978- 1133587583 ISBN-10: 1133587585.