Master’s course in “Euro-Mediterranean Cultures and Policies”
The Master’s course in Euro-Mediterranean Cultures and Policies is carried out by International Telematic University UNINETTUNO, takes origin from the Open Sky Europe Project, project financed by the European Commission within the context of the “Euromed Regional Communication” program.The project was originally aimed at improving communicative processes within Mediterranean cultures, above all where youth is concerned. The idea of the Euro-Mediterranean area has witnessed a process of growth and evolution. Bearing in mind the institutional modifications that have been effected, the Masters aims to extend and deepen the cultural and political areas offered by the new dimensions that have arisen.
The viewpoint adopted regarding the institutions will therefore be closely linked to the History and various mentalities in which they are rooted. The Mediterranean area is one of the most interesting dimensions in the relationship between tradition and innovation. The Masters will therefore be organized around History and Institutions, Constitutional aspects, the nature of Citizenship and Immigration, and the themes of security, justice and liberty. Its aim will be to establish a common starting point for cultural discussion between Europe and the Mediterranean world.
The objective of the Masters is to create expertise regarding Policies and universal rights of citizenship in the context of European and Mediterranean cultures. Such skills are linked to the various institutional environments in which they are divided up.The skills which the Masters pinpoints and tries to create are carried out in a cultural debate open to the idea of a Mediterranean public sphere.
The aim of the distance-learning Master in «Euro-Mediterranean Culture and Policies» is to train for operating skills as regards the European situation also in relation to the Mediterranean countries. Transmission of the cognitive instruments necessary to such an end will be carried out through an “international” and interdisciplinary didactic method, in four languages: Arabic, French, English and Italian. The “international” nature of the teaching, represented also by the teaching body, matches the desire to supply the students with suitable skills for the supernational dimension of the problems posed; the inter-disciplinary nature of the study program derives from awareness of the strong ties that link the History of European integration, the functioning of the various institutions of the European Union (and the way in which national, European e Euro-Mediterranean institutions interact with them), the drawing up of community law and its impacts at national and international level.
Students therefore have the chance to develop their expertise in the field of European studies (History, Economics, Law and the politico-social Sciences), to acquire knowledge about the various pillars on which the European Union is founded, to analyze the political, economic, cultural e social interactions between the European Union and the Euro- Mediterranean countries from the viewpoint of Human relations and the protection of the cultural heritage.
The Masters lasts one academic year corresponding for an overall total of 60 ECTS credits organized into video-lessons, seminars, exercises, conferences, tutoring, research activities, internships. The Masters is divided into five modules; the first two modules aim to give a general and interdisciplinary training on the various aspects of the process of European unification. Module III is aimed at providing expertise in the sector of “Basic Rights”, “Immigration” and “Justice and Security”.The 4th module is to provide students with the theoretical-practical instruments to enable them to understand the processes of policy interaction between the different participants. Every module provides for a coordinator, a Video Professor and a Professor-Tutor for each subject taught. For every module which make up the Masters curriculum there are also provisions for didactic checks on the contents learnt. The 5th module, reserved to students from arab world countries, will consist in a residential internship at Euro-Mediterranean University Center EMUNI. At the end of the Masters students are guaranteed internships and work experience in bodies of international standing.
In order to obtain the Master’s qualification, which will be conferred by the International Telematic University UNINETTUNO, it is necessary the preparation of final thesis on a subject agreed on with the Master’s course Scientific Committee.
Module 1: The European Union: History and Institutions
- Coordinator: prof. Eligio Resta
- History and protagonists (video teachers: Pier Virgilio Dastoli, Romano Prodi, Franco Frattini, Filippo Maria Pandolfi, Rocco Cangelosi)
- History and European culture (video teachers: Franco Cardini, Lea Campos Boralevi)
- Demos/Ethnos and constituent process (video teacher: Eligio Resta)
Module 2: Freedom and Human Rights
- Coordinator: prof. Vincenzo Zeno-Zencovich
- The European legal and political system (video teachers: Vincenzo Zeno-Zencovich, Pierpaolo Settembri)
- Freedom and human rights in the European Union (video teacher: Emilio De Capitani)
- Foreign and commercial policy of the European Union (video teacher: Alessandro Fusacchia)
Module 3: Citizenship and Political Areas
- Coordinator: prof. Sandro Gozi
- The European Union and its Institutions (video teachers: Sandro Gozi, Pier Virgilio Dastoli)
- Legal area and security in the Mediterranean (video teacher: Henry La Bayle)
- Globalization in a multicultural world (video teacher: Nicolas Vernicos)
- Citizenship and territory (video teacher: Rostane Mehdi)
Module 4: Policy Interactions
- Coordinator: prof. Andrea Pierucci
- Intervention capacity in European policy on the part of third parties (public affairs) (video teacher: Andrea Pierucci)
- Economics of European integration (video teacher: Kiril Ribarov)
- The European Union political areas (video teachers: Mohammed Al-Momany, Cosimo Risi)
- Diplomacy and Euromediteranean Governance (video teacher: Francesco Caruso)
Module 5: Euro-Mediterranean Studies
- Coordinator: prof. Joseph Mifsud
- Internship, based in Portorož (Slovenia), intended for 23 students funded by Euro-Mediterranean University Center EMUNI, coming from the following universities: University of Batna (Algeria), Helwan University (Egypt), Mukta Univ (Jordan), University of Jordan (Jordan), Libanaise University (Lebanon), Université Mohamed V Souissi et Salé (Morocco), University of Aleppo (Syria), Université Tunis Manar / ENIT (Tunisia), EGE University (Turkey).
Didactic activity takes place through the Internet, in the “Master” section of the portal: www.uninettunouniversity.net, the first portal in the world where teaching is delivered in four languages: Arabic, French, English and Italian.The adopted psycho-pedagogic model implements the shift:
- from the central role of the teacher to that of the student;
- from the transmission of knowledge to the building of knowledge;
- from passive and competitive learning to active and collaborative learning.
The students play an active role in their learning progress and can study whenever and wherever they wish to. In the course of their learning, the students are guided by an online tutoring system which is able to facilitate their learning and web-based communication process and to supply them with the tools to carry out their study of their particular subject successfully. The online tutoring is organised into classes of students, with an advanced agenda system that is able to recognize each individual and to obtain the tracking of didactic activities and the quantitative and qualitative evaluation of the learning process of each single student.
How to study
The didactic activity on the Internet unfold within the WEB macro-area known as the Didactic Cyberspace. In the Didactic Cyberspace the learning and developmental process is implemented and the access are differentiated through login and passwords on the basis of the three different roles of those who participate in the learning process: Professors, Tutors and Students.The three categories of those who utilize the service can access information linked to each teaching subject.
In particular, the Professor and Tutor can modify or substitute didactic materials and add new ones for the duration of the teaching period, while the student has his or her own area where data, information and personal notes can be inserted. The student can access:
- the Page of the Appointed Teaching Professor
- the Tutor Page.
Within these pages the Learning Environments are inserted and it is possible to access:
- Didactic Materials which constitute the course contents: digitized video-lessons with bookmarks allow the hypertextual and multimedia link to books, selected
bibliographical references, texts of the exercises, lists of selected websites. The system of dynamic bookmarks gives the Internet-based video-lessons a hyper-textual character allowing different levels of navigation: from one lesson to the other one, between the subjects of a single lesson, between the materials referring to the same subject.
- Distance Tutoring.
The students enrolled in the Master’s course will be able to be followed during every step of their study path by theTelematic Professor-Tutor, who represents a guide as well as a constant presence during your Learning Process. The long distance Tutoring activities can be carried out in two ways:
- in a synchronic manner, by using the chat rooms, the videochat rooms, video and audio-conference systems activated in the Didactic Cyberspace, but also the three-dimensional classroom created on the UTIU Island of knowledge on Second Life.
- in a diachronic manner, through tools such as e mail and discussion forums on the Internet.The discussion forums, related to the topics of a given teaching subject, allow you to extend the dialogue and activate a collaborative learning and to organize your thoughts regarding the discussion topic and study activity that you are engaged in.
- The virtual classroom in UNINETTUNO Island of Knowledge on Second Life
In UNINETTUNO (International Telematic University) Island of Knowledge we realised an 3D Auditorium devoted to the Master’s course.This is where the students’ avatar and professors/tutors’ avatars interact in the three-dimensional world of UNINETTUNO by them voice. Practice works, assessment tests and videoconferences with the protagonists of the European Union attending through their avatars are carried out, as well as direct practice activities guided by the professors/tutors’ avatars. In the virtual classroom of Second Life on the UNINETTUNO Island of Knowledge the students and the professors/tutors teach and learn in a collaborative and cooperative way, they build and share knowledge with people belonging to different political, cultural and religious realities, they dialogue, cultural differences are compared, socialization processes are activated as well as the creation of new knowledge.
End-users and Requirements
The Masters in Euro-Mediterranean Culture and Policies is meant for all students holding a First Degree diploma.
A good knowledge of at least two foreign languages is required.
How to enroll
You can enroll directly on the Internet filling in the specific online form and paying the relative fees by credit card or bank transfer.
The online administrative form deals with all administration activities and the student’s career. The Secretariat will confirm the completed enrolment with an e-mail including matriculation number, User ID and Password.
The enrolment fee for the Masters is €4000, and €2000 for students coming from particular geographical areas.